Pages

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Paul Runyan - Improve Your Chipping and Putting

Paul Runyan wrote a book called, The Short Way to Lower Scoring. He had a reputation for having an above average short game among his fellow touring professionals. I bought a copy of his book back in 1980 and even today, some thirty-two years later, I consider the purchase of his book, one of my finest purchases. Don't let the simplicity of the illustrations and instruction fool you about the quality of the instruction delivered. I can tell you in no uncertain terms, his instruction is some of the most effective instruction, I have ever implemented and my short game improved tremendously as a result.
I don't know if the book is in print today, I suspect it isn't, I have seen used copies for sale on Amazon.com. If you do come across a copy of The Short Way to Lower Scoring, I highly recommend that you purchase a copy of it. This book ranks in the top-five of any golf books ever written.
Knowing how effective Paul's techniques are, it amazes me that I don't see touring professionals and the golfing public using his technique. Golfers are always looking for ways to improve their chipping and putting and yet, Paul's technique remains in obscurity. A contradiction I find myself thinking about far too often for comfort. I can only conclude that golfers don't know how simple and effective his technique is. I urge you to give his technique a try.
A little above his technique. The noticeable differences in his technique compared to the conventional way of putting and chipping is that both hands grip the club with their palms facing skyward. This is done because both arms are bent at forty-five degrees. The arms are bent so that you can stand close enough to the golf ball so your eyes are directly over the golf ball. Standing so close to the golf ball requires the heel of the club to be off the ground. With the heel off the ground, the toe of the club touches the ground.
It takes a while to get used to the Paul Runyan putting and chipping address position. However, none of the learning is particularly difficult. The book is easy to read and follow. The illustractions used clearly demonstrate the instructions.
When I first began using his chipping method, it took me about two weeks of practicing before I was able to get the ball to come off the club properly. You know when you have the proper technique because your chip shots will hold their line and roll true.
James Lythgoe is passionate about the golf swing and wants to share his knowledge of the golf swing with you. He is the author of The Golf Swing: It's all in the Hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment