Pages

Monday 10 December 2012

The Best Book on Growing Grapes


                                 The Complete Grape Growing System by Danie Wium is by far the best book I have read about growing grapes. Danie has a 'grape farm' and this is what he does for a living. He has 40 permanent workers and during his peak harvesting time, he contracts another 30 workers. He knows grapes!
Danie's book offers insight to the best way to grow grapes that I have never read before. He even gives you the low down on the origin of grapes!
There are a lot of images to guide you. It is simply written for all to understand. So clear, that I now understand how to prune the vines, which I simply did not understand before!
Detailed information on the complete structure of the grape so there is no misunderstanding of 'Canes' to 'Spurs' to 'water shoots'. There is even a diagram of where to take cuttings from the grape vines. He includes ways to start your own grape cuttings to produce more vines, so you can begin with only one vine if you wish.
Danie includes detailed instructions on constructing fences or trellis and how to train the vines to grow on them. There is no room for confusion on how to build either a fence or trellis.
Watering your grapes is no longer a mystery for Danie makes it crystal clear on what is needed. Danie wraps up the book on pest and disease control. He offers some natural ways to get rid of pesky animals that would eat your grapes!
Danie closes his book with a way to contact him if you have questions, or read something in the book that you don't understand, a bit of 'tech support' for grapes!
The book is true to its title, it is complete in every way. This is a book that is extremely valuable to me and is the only grape growing book I own. I have search for the best book I could find that would give me everything I need to know to be able to grow grapes in my backyard successfully. Though I do not want to own a grape farm, I do want to grow my own grapes for fresh eating and to make jelly. This book goes over any expectations I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment